"bum" not available in ubuntu 20.04.3 Focal Fossa

gmachine24

"bum" not available in ubuntu 20.04.3 Focal Fossa

Post by gmachine24 »

Next we want to change the start order of Squeezebox Server and MusicIP to ensure that MusicIP starts before Squeezebox Server. For this we'll use a graphical BootUp-Manager called bum.

So, from within the Ubuntu GUI go to System -> Administration and choose Synaptic Package Manager, type bum in the Quick Search box and then place a check against bum in the lists of results returned and click Mark For Installation. Choose the additional packages too.

Now launch the BootUp-Manager (System -> Administration -> BootUp-Manager), check the Advanced box and then click on the Services tab. Scroll down to Squeezeboxserver and note the Run levels (by default these are K20, S20, S20 etc). Now scroll to mmserver, place a check against it and then right-click on it and select Change start/stop priority. Change the value to a number to be one below that of Squeezeboxserver. So, by default you'd type 19 in both the Startup Priority: and Shutdown Priority: boxes. Then click OK.

Now restart the server (type sudo reboot -h n
This seems out of date as I cannot find "bum" nor "boot-up manager" on my Ubuntu Server 20.04.03 installation via either Synaptic or command line.

Unless you know how to get at it.... Thanks.
gmachine24

Re: "bum" not available in ubuntu 20.04.3 Focal Fossa

Post by gmachine24 »

from the official ubuntu irc channel:

[bootup manager] "was only for sysV init and upstart ... ubuntu switched to systemd in 2015, even if it was still somewhere you could not use it ..."

So....
gmachine24

Re: "bum" not available in ubuntu 20.04.3 Focal Fossa

Post by gmachine24 »

As far as I can tell, getting mmserver to run under 20.04.x is far more complicated - including the need to create/edit a mmserver.service file - I'm not sure which file - logitechmediaserver.service or mmserver.service - needs to specify that mmserver must start before logitechmediaserver by specifying "before", "after", or some other variable in one of the *.service files.

I'm researching this and it's a bit mind numbing and I haven't found a simple / easy "how to".

Perhaps someone else can help. Thanks.