Is 3D TV here to stay?

Ian

Is 3D TV here to stay?

Post by Ian »

As per the question really. What do you think of it? Have you get a 3D set up? Is it here to stay? Do you think one day regular TV (soaps, the news etc) will be broadcast in 3D? Or is it just a gimmick to sell more kit?

For me, I've no plans to buy any 3D equipment. At least not until they come up with something that gives you the 3D experience without having to wear the 3D specs. Possibly then, as and when I need a new TV I'll buy one that is 3D capable. But I certainly won't scrap a perfectly working TV in favour of a 3D one.

What about you?
Wingsigmortic

Re: Is 3D TV here to stay?

Post by Wingsigmortic »

Ian,

YES, 3D TV is WELL on it's way. I worked in Taiwan for 6 months on some of the technology for 3D Tvs, and it really is incredible. like the 3DS there is technology that allow you to view the screen in 3D without glasses. There are limitations but you can buy screens currently that do that ( or coming out shortly), depending on your location in the world. In Taiwan, i worked with ~ 4 different ones from ~ 2007. So they are on their way.

if you don't believe me:
" One of these, Chinese manufacturer TCL is selling a 42" LCD model - the TD-42F - in China for around $20,000.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_lens
( see the 3 D TV references)

Obviously, it will take some time for these to become mainstream and for the prices to come down. I also am not planning on buying one of these in the near term, but with a few calculations and a high resolution printer, you could turn near any LCD into a 3 D display:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 961#p55961

There are drawbacks, but it fits your needs of " NO GLASSES"

lets just put it this way, i have seen near holographic stuff and that is not in the near future. but 3D TV is great and it is here now( just not mainstream). (I played DOOM in 3D.. really immerses you in the game)

~Wingsigmortic
LarryJB

Post by LarryJB »

Regardless of the technology, I am not a fan of 3D. To me it is a distraction from the story. It sometimes gives me a headache. I am thinking that no matter what technical improvements are made, this will not change. Maybe I am different than most people, but I watch movies/TV for the content of the film, not so much for the technology used to produce it. Whenever I am given the choice of 3D or 2D I always choose 2D. But I am an old fart, maybe younger people have a different opinion. (they usually do!)

BTW: I just found this site, and I think I am going to learn a lot here! I am preparing to setup a new home network server and I will be posting my progress and lots and lots of questions, so you guys get ready for that!
Larry Browning
Linux newbie, but having fun and learning!
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those that don't.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi guys,

Wingsigmortic, I'm impressed that you've actually been working on the technology I think it's all rather exciting. I watched a demo in a Sony shop a few months back (using glasses) and it was a very unique experience. Very exciting in terms of the potential but just not sure it will be put to good use for many years to come. By that I mean this: when stereo first came out it is was great but, basically rubbish, because the recording engineers were so obsessed with the ability to put different sounds in each speaker that they forgot to make it sound realistic. ie. to accurately replicate what you would hear if you were actually standing in front of the musicians. I expect 3D TV will progress along the same lines - you'll have things jumping out of the screen just to make you go "wow" and a few years down the line you'll then start to get realistic movement and depth.

Hi LarryJB and welcome to the forums.
Sometimes I'll enjoy a movie simply because of the video or the soundtrack and other times I'm more focused on the movie storyline/acting or whatever. I think it depends on your setup. I have a serious home cinema setup and I specifically buy "wow" movies just to fully exploit my kit. However, if I'm watching something on a regular TV, with stereo sound, I'll focus on the storyline or acting. In my case, the movie itself dictates where I'll watch it!

Best of luck building your new server, plenty of help will be forthcoming if (not when!) you need it ;)

Take care guys,

Ian.
Wingsigmortic

Post by Wingsigmortic »

LarryJB,

As i have worked with the technology... I do still agree with you. While i was watching Avatar in 3D. i was wanting to focus stuff in the background and see what was REALLY being shown, but because the focus is forcing you to see what is immediately present, it was hard to look at the background when somehting was going on. So yes, I too am a bit sad by that... but that is limit of the technology.

I saw the "3DS" the other day and was mildly impressed with it. it had limitations, but it did actually make the stuff look better. i'll be excited to see what they comeout with for it. ( in the ordinary game play, there seemed to be 3 planes; Close, mid and Far.

~Wingsigmortic