Bonding... Network connections 10.10

Wingsigmortic

Bonding... Network connections 10.10

Post by Wingsigmortic »

I've been building my media server and it's not a big deal to have to just one network cable coming out of it... but why have one when you can have 2.. or 3. Some members in my house will be doing a lot of Ripping and Transferring of big files, I'd like for it not to tie up my Media server connection so I can still stream off of it.

1. Am I being paranoid?

2. anyone worked with bonding in Ubuntu 10.10 I think it got it working on a Static IP for about 1 boot, then lost it ( also looking at using KVM with Bridged ethernet... not sure how that all works) I would like it to us DHCP, not be static( I move around occasionally). Though I could make sacrifices

Any insight would be appreciated

~Wingsigmortic

http://ricochen.wordpress.com/2011/01/0 ... ntu-10-10/

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-setup- ... 10-04.html
Ian

Re: Bonding... Network connections 10.10

Post by Ian »

Hi Wingsigmortic and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

I've never tried ethernet bonding and to be honest I knew little about it before I read your links. I was under the impression that it required different subnets (one card pointing to one subnet and the other pointing to another subnet) so just goes to show how ignorant I was :roll:

There is a short thread here which might help you with your problem?

I've never had an issue with streaming whilst also copying large amounts of data across although of course this depends on how many people will be doing it. A blu-ray stream requires ~50Mbps so there is plenty of bandwidth left on a gigabit network for copying data. The time you would hit issues is if the server does not have enough horsepower (CPU) to do more than one thing at a time. This is particularly true for the low-powered NAS units out there: downloading bit torrents, copying across files AND streaming will result in a stuttering video stream.

I'm afraid I've only got one NIC in my server so I can't experiment and help you find a solution to your problem. Sorry :oops:
Wingsigmortic

Re: Bonding... Network connections 10.10

Post by Wingsigmortic »

OK, so i finally got it working ( well I did a while back and now i'm posting)

Setup: i have 4 NIC cars and the built in... the built in one doesn't work, so the other 4 do ( they were cheap).

In case anyone is Curious.. or Zealous:

* I suggest to do these mods on the actual machine, or be sure to have access to a keyboard and monitor because if something goes wrong.. SSH access might be gone.
1> Creat config files:
a> sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf and paste

alias bond0 bonding

b>sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf and paste:

alias bond0 bonding
options bonding mode=0 miimon=100 lacp_rate=1 downdelay=200 updelay=200

2> apt-get install ifenslave
3> modify your /etc/network/interfaces :

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#these 4 here made it work:
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
iface eth2 inet manual
iface eth3 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
#Change these to fit your network
address 10.0.0.150
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
slaves eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3
# These bond modes are new in 10.10
bond-mode balance-rr
bond-miimon 100
#the "eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3" just make it fit your need... but all 4 of mine do work
bond-primary eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3
up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3
down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3

4> I suggest a full restart. ( and I also suggest to do this on the actual machine and not remotely via SSH... I could learn from my own advice)

This should work, Confirm in ifconfig that you have "bond0" and that all the MAC addresses of the bonded interfaces are the same.

I am currently working on getting a bridge for the KVM to work... not my top priority, andy suggestions, let me know ( hopefully the PMs are working)

ALSO, side note, i got this all working and it only was showing me eth2 and eth3 in my "ifconfig"... I knew that eth0 and eth1 were my newer NICs so i was curious. After some fumbling around, i found that they didn't have a MAC address that was valid. So i ended up making a script that would give them one on boot ( giving them one in the ..../interfaces wasn't good enough) I put the Script in CRON to start up at boot and all 4 are working.

Cheers,
Wingsigmortic